6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Gippsland Centre for Art and Design
Not offered in 2018
Admission to BVA, BA/BVA, BBusCom/BVA, BVA/BEdu,DOFS
any corequisite in OHS1000
This unit is an introduction to visual arts studio practice. Students will familiarise themselves with different processes, methods and materials through experiencing different fine art disciplines. Projects will be set which introduce conceptual, formal and technical methods by which particular ideas may be fully explored and investigated. Occupational, Health, Safety and Environment issues generic to art and design and specific to each discipline will be addressed.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- understand elements such as line, form, texture, volume, shape and the relationships that exist between these elements in composition and construction
- recognise that there are specific links between form and content in art making
- be aware of a number of different formal and technical procedures and processes that may be applied to their work
- be acquainted with various techniques and media sources from which they can select for their art practice
- appreciate that art practice has connections, affiliations and relationships within historical and contemporary cultures
- have an understanding of occupational health, safety, and environment (OHSE) issues which relate to art and design practice generally, as well as OHSE procedures required in studio practice.
Folio: 80% Journal: 20%
4 hours of studio plus 8 hours of independent study a week
See also Unit timetable information