6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Assoc Professor Ralph Abrahams
Manufacturing Operations, Models and Metrics. Automation and NC/CNC. Material Transport and storage systems. Manufacturing Systems: Single cell, Assembly line, Cellular Manufacturing and Flexible Manufacturing systems. Manufacturing Support Systems: CAD/CAM/CIM, Process planning, Production planning including material requirement planning, manufacturing resource planning, shop floor control, inventory control.
Manufacturing excellence: push/pull systems, pull control systems, JIT, TQM, simulation of manufacturing systems.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Describe different types of manufacturing and production systems.
- Generate Computer Numerical Control (CNC) code for the creation of simple features and parts using different positioning systems.
- Analyse different material handling, storage and manufacturing support systems.
- Quantify the performance of cellular and flexible manufacturing systems, and manual assembly lines.
- Address modern manufacturing philosophies, such as Just In Time (JIT) and Lean Production systems.
- Design an advanced manufacturing system.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Final Examination (2 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 2 hours laboratory classes, 1 hour tutorial classes and 6 hours of private study a week
See also Unit timetable information