6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Dr Nabil Chowdhury
Dr Madhavan Shanmugavel (Malaysia)
Must have passed 42 credit points
Kinematics: position, velocity and acceleration; relative motion analysis and applications for particles and rigid bodies; Dynamics: translational and rotational motion of free and constrained forces, their origin and significance; equation of motion, principle of impulse and momentum, principles of work and energy; Analysis of planar motion. Fundamentals of mechanical vibrations. Strength of materials: stress and strain in 2D and 3D space; Hookes law; Shear force and bending moments, moments of area, deflection of beams; Equilibrium and compatibility equations; Stress and strain transformation; Mohr circle; Simple failure criteria; Elastic instability --- buckling.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Describe fundamental principles of kinematics of particles and rigid body motion in a plane.
- Describe fundamental principles of kinetics of particles and rigid body motion in a plane.
- Apply the principles of kinematics to solve questions of particles and rigid bodies.
- Apply the principles of kinetics to solve questions of particles and rigid bodies moving in a plane.
- Identify the key concepts of Mechanical of Materials (MOM).
- Apply concepts of MOM to bending and torsion, and combined stresses.
- Apply concepts of MOM to transformation of stresses, and failure theories.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Final Examination (2 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 3 hours of practice/laboratory classes and 6 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information