6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Trimester 2 2018 (Off-campus block of classes)
- Trimester 2 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
48 credit points of any MADA Design degree, or by permission.
This unit permits design students with the opportunity to explore, experience and immerse themselves in the design environments of other cities. Using project-based learning students will respond to how a city creates its own identity and locates itself in the world through its unique qualities. The unit will expose students to different cultural narratives; design systems that are shaped by location; and ways in which design in turn helps to shape a city's lived experience. As designers become increasingly mobile professionals they need to draw upon creative methods that are translational and culturally sensitive to other global locations. This unit will permit students with the opportunity to develop design skills that respond to this challenge.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will:
- Use design practices to respond effectively and responsibly to a different cultural context;
- Have an appreciation of the practical challenges and opportunities a unique city location offers to design thinking and making;
- Develop intercultural competencies and effectively engage with people from different cultures and places;
- Apply design research skills appropriate to a city location and culture;
- Observe and apply the OHSE requirements as outlined in the unit guide specific to the location.
Contextual investigation (30%)
Design project (70%)
12 hours per week including 4 contact hours and 8 hours independent study, or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information