12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Topics include the purpose of research and its place in social work; research ethics including intellectual property issues; research designs including qualitative, quantitative, exploratory and experimental methods; developing research questions and hypotheses; sampling and data analysis including statistical analysis and writing research reports.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should have developed an understanding of:
- ethical issues relating to research with humans;
- issues relating to the place and role of different types of research in Social Work;
- the principles underlying qualitative and quantitative research;
- research design, research questions and data collection methods;
- a range of statistical techniques and when it is appropriate to use them.
Students are also required to demonstrate their ability to develop a research proposal.
One or two assignments totalling 9,000 words including a research proposal (100%)