6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
- First semester 2018 (Off-campus)
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit offers an overview of the history and contemporary context of social work practice within a framework of understanding the connection between social issues, policy development and strategies for sustainable change at both local and global levels. The unit is underpinned by notions of social justice and human rights and offers a preview of topics that will be studied in greater depth in subsequent units within the course.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Describe the nature of social work in a range of contexts and settings as well as describe contemporary debates about the nature of social work.
- Critically analyse the ethical value base of social work with particular reference to human rights and the promotion of social justice.
- Critically analyse key global social policy issues including, but not limited to, mass movement of people, climate change, reconstruction and poverty.
- Critically review and analyse contemporary trends in the delivery of social work services.
- Articulate the nature of social change and the strategies to achieve this.
- iSAP case study (1,000 words) (25%)
- Annotated bibliography (2,500 words) (40%) (hurdle)
- Examination (1.5 hours) (35%)
4 contact hours (2 hours seminars, 2 hours tutorial and 8 hours of self-paced study)
See also Unit timetable information