6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
3rd year Social Work units (, , , , , ).
Must be enrolled in BSW(Hons), BA/BSW(Hons) or BHSc/BSW(Hons).
The honours research methods unit introduces students to the theoretical methodological and ethical issues that underpin social work research. It provides direction and guidance to honours students in identifying a meaningful research question and develops the skills and knowledge students need to develop a research proposal. It re-introduces students to quantitative and qualitative research frameworks and data analysis techniques they need to both undertake their study and write a research report.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Identify a research topic that addresses a significant social work issue.
- Utilise acquired knowledge of the research process to develop an honours project proposal.
- Critically review literature in their research area.
- Formulate a researchable question.
- Review research frameworks to inform methodological choices.
- Present an informed discussion of the ethical issues involved in their research project, including the completion of an ethics application as appropriate.
Completion of the research proposal - literature review and methodology (4,500 words) and submission of relevant ethics application (100%)
Off-campus attendance requirements
OCDL students are required to attend at least one on campus workshop.