6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (Online)
This unit is an introduction to health care research.
Students will learn how to formulate research questions, examine different research methodologies and critically appraise a research study.
Students also learn how to search for and review literature and formulate a research question that addresses a gap in the evidence.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Discriminate between research methods and determine their applicability to health care research.
- Formulate a research question which is appropriate for the evidence gap.
- Develop a research design that is appropriate to the research question.
- Critically appraise research reports;
- Undertake a literature search and synthesis of a topic area within health care.
- Case Study 1 - Qualitative Research Question & Design (1,800 words) (30%)
- Case Study 2 - Quantitative Research Question & Design (1,800 words) (30%)
- Critical Appraisal of a Research Paper (900 words) (10%) (hurdle)
- Literature Search & Proposed Research Question (1,500 words) (30%) (hurdle)