6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Molecular Cell Biology
This unit was previously titled Drug Discovery Biology
This unit will provide students with a preliminary training in research in Drug Discovery Biology pharmaceutical science within the faculty as well as provide the This unit will provide students with a four-week experience working in a research or industry setting relevant to drug discovery biology. Students will participate in a hands-on project at the Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Science (MIPS) or at an industry site under the supervision of an academic staff member or industry mentor.
The research/industry project will give students the opportunity to expand their scientific understanding and practical skills and to practice their ability to work in a professional environment.
In addition students will participate in activities to develop their job seeking and career planning skills, for example, writing resumes, job applications and cover letters, and interview techniques.knowledge of research philosophy and approaches.
Students will participate in a hands-on research project within the Department of Drug Discovery Biology at Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Science (MIPS) under the supervision of an academic staff member. The project will enhance students' skills in all aspects of research.
In addition students participate in activities to develop their job seeking and career planning skills, for example, writing resumes, job applications and cover letters, and interview techniques.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Identify areas of interest for their future career;
- Participate effectively in interviews and write a professional resume;
- Work safely and effectively in a professional environment;
- Design an evidence-based experimental approach to solving a problem or research question;
- Conduct an experimental investigation including data documentation, analysis and interpretation;
- Communicate the project outcomes in written and oral form;
- Reflect on their professional experience.
Written report: 60%;Laboratory work: 20%; Oral presentation: 20%
Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 20 x 7 hours of practical work
- Students will participate in a placement training and selection process in semester one (ten hours of workshops and interviews).
- 10 hours of independent study (preparation of the written report and the oral presentation)
See also Unit timetable information