6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit was previously coded as PSC3272
This subject will cover advanced drug delivery nanotechnologies and parenteral formulations.
This will involve three main modules:
- Drug delivery nanotechnologies
- lipid based oral formulations
- internal structure
- surface properties
- drug encapsulation and release
- Diagnostics and imaging applications of nanotechnologies
- imaging modalities
- nanotechnologies in bioimaging
Describe the principles behind the formulation of nanotechnology drug delivery systems, and the way they behave in invitro and in vivo environments.Describe, and conduct in practicals, the methods of characterization of nanotech drug delivery systems. Describe different modes of imaging and how nanotechnology can be used to improve imaging techniques. Describe typical approaches to diagnostics and describe the role of advanced formulation and nanotechnologies in modern diagnostics.
Final exam (2 hour): 60%; Practical Reports: 30%; In semester Week 6 online MCQ test: 10%.
Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Twenty four 1-hour group preparation exercises for lecture workshops
- Twenty four 1-hour lecture workshops
- Eight 3-hour practicals
See also Unit timetable information