6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit builds on knowledge acquired in PRM1511, and offers further development and refinement of conceptual and practical skills acquired in PRM1511 Artists' Books. The unit investigates the form of the book, considering the role of the artist book as a mode of distribution, and the roles of text, image, sequence and temporality in the artist book. It provides students with the means to extend already established skills in a variety of typesetting and printmedia processes, and a consideration of their works in the context of contemporary visual art.
On successful completion of this unit, student will be able to:
- critically evaluate the conceptual and technical foundation for successful study in a contemporary visual art practice
- apply conceptual and practical skills in the production of artist books as a special means of creative expression
- create critical and creative works appropriate to the concept they are investigating
- evaluate the place of the artist book in the field of current national and global practices
- understand the theoretical and historical rationale and context of their work
- demonstrate critical and creative works in the context of contemporary visual culture
- understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
Assessment is 100% by folio at mid-semester and end of semester. The folio will be comprised of works produced during the duration of the unit, and may also include student's works made independently of the unit, and a journal which will document on-going progress and research over the semester.
12 hours comprising 4 studio hours and 8 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information