6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Admission to an Art & Design course or permission for all other students
FNA1503 or FNA1402
This unit gives students the opportunity to further develop the ideas concepts, materials and processes begun in the corresponding Printmedia 1A unit. Students will begin to establish an individual and self directed practice within the broad parameters of the printmedia discipline. Methods and materials specific to the printmedia studio discipline will be demonstrated and practiced. Students will be encouraged to develop appropriate links between these methods and other means of creative self-expression. Set projects will require students to develop technical skills hand in hand with their understanding of concepts of current relevance.
On successful completion of this unit, students should:
- have a good understanding of strategies which lead to successful study in the creative disciplines;
- have skills in additional printmedia techniques including basic lithography, photoprintmaking and advanced etching techniques;
- be able to choose a means of expression suitable for their concept, embracing printmedia and other media as appropriate;
- appreciate the place of these techniques in the breadth of current visual culture;
- be able to present their work in critique sessions with growing confidence as to its theoretical and historical rationale;
- demonstrate an initial grasp of the importance of research to art practice;
- understand and practice the rules of occupational health and safety in force in the printmedia studio.
Folio 100%, including a mid-semester assessment of at least 20% of the final mark.
12 hours comprising 6 studio hours and 6 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information