6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Successful completion of Studios 1 and 2 or equivalent
Using investigative processes and industry case studies students will learn the role of management and associated strategic processes integral to a successful and sustainable design practice. Students will acquire skills in entrepreneurship, business negotiation, teamwork, written and verbal communication, budgeting, market identification and user needs, start-up cultures and project management across a broad range of design undertakings that includes complex multidisciplinary projects.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- apply current theories and practices in design management to design projects of varying complexity;
- understand and act upon the relationship between organisational strategy and design planning;
- understand the principles of entrepreneurship, innovation management and commercialisation;
- understand how to develop a sustainable design business model; and
- demonstrate skills in collaboration and clear communication.
Oral presentation (20%)
Individual report (40%)
Group project (40%)
2 contact hours and 8 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information