12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 to First semester 2019 (On-campus)
and PHS4220 together, are equivalent to but they enable students to study part time by allowing completion of the work over a longer time period.
Students are required to select three sub-units (covering advanced coursework topics) from offerings within the School of Physics and Astronomy. These sub-units are to be selected in consultation with the student's academic supervisor. Some sub-units may be chosen from outside the School - with permission from the Honours coordinator.
Students will also complete a literature review (spanningand PHS4220) related to the research project component of their Honours course.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of physics and related disciplines;
- Synthesise and interpret their knowledge;
- Apply their knowledge and critical thinking skills to the solution of complex problems.
- Plan, and efficiently carry out, work requirements.
- Make effective use of information and communication technology for the collection and analysis of data, the solution of problems and the presentation of their work;
- Understand, use and explain the basic concepts and principles of the research literature which underpins their chosen area of research in physics.
Three lecture topics (a mixture of assignments and examinations: 30% each): 90%
Literature review: 10%