24 points, SCA Band 2, 0.500 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 to First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Enrolment in an approved Honours or Graduate Diploma in the discipline of Physics
Students are required to complete a research project involving original work on a topic chosen in consultation with their academic supervisor.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Understand, use and explain the basic concepts and principles of the research literature which underpins the chosen area of physics research;
- Synthesise and interpret their knowledge gained in their study of the underpinning research literature, hence identifying a niche topic or topics within this existing body of literature, which represents a gap in knowledge suitable for original research;
- Solve a complex and outstanding problem or problems in the chosen area for original research;
- Present the results of their original research in both written form as a thesis, and present their key thesis results in oral form as a final seminar;
- Defend the results of their original research in an oral exam.
Research project (project work, research seminar, thesis and oral defence): 100%