6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (Flexible)
The aim of this unit is to research and apply modern leadership theories to clinical nursing practice. The content is delivered in three modules. The first module examines concepts of the development of clinical leadership performance and skills. The second explores contemporary leadership theories and considers their relevance to nursing leadership in a range of clinical contexts. The third examines developmental strategies in nursing that require operationalization of clinical leadership.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Identify personal clinical leadership goals;
- Assess clinical leadership readiness and related skill sets of nurses in practice;
- Critically analyse leadership theories relevant to nursing practice and their application in clinical nursing services;
- Construct and critique strategies for clinical development through leadership;
- Evaluate outcomes of successful leadership;
- Evaluate clinical development outcomes produced through leadership intervention.
- Written assignment 1 (2,000 - 2,500 words) (40%) (Hurdle)
- Written assignment 2 (2,000 - 2,500 words) (40%) (Hurdle)
- Group presentation (20 minutes) (20%)
Flexible: 4 hours per week lectures, tutorials and workshops; 8 hours per week self-directed learning (directed and self-directed reading).
See also Unit timetable information