12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (Flexible)
Postgraduate specialty study and
This unit is designed to prepare students to practice at an advanced level within nursing practice environments.
This unit is offered in recognition that an experienced registered nurse will be able to take a leadership role in promoting improvements to clinical, educational and administrative areas of nursing practice. In this largely, self-directed unit students will apply theory and research to specific interventions encompassed in the spectrum of models of nursing practice.
It enables the student to apply topics presented separately in the previous course units and to integrate knowledge and skill development in areas such as advanced decision-making and problem solving, in the context of practice.
This unit is undertaken in the final semester of coursework study.
The overall objectives for this unit are broad because each student is expected to negotiate and set their own goals in consultation with their lecturer and mentor. Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Critically analyse a practice issue;
- Evaluate the unique cultural aspects of the context of practice;
- Recommend key stakeholders in managing a practice issue;
- Plan a principles and evidence based nursing practice project that addresses a practice issue;
- Apply initiative, interpersonal and independent problem-solving skills to practice issues;
- Collect, analyse and synthesise information about the identified issues to inform practice change;
- Recommend evidence based solutions to practice issues;
- Write a scholarly report on a nursing practice project;
- Present the project methods, synthesised findings and the arising recommendations needed to influence practice change.
- Project Plan 1000 words (10%),
- Project Proposal 2500 words (20%),
- Project Presentation 20 minutes (20%),
- Final project report 6000 words (50%) - Hurdle Requirement
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Nursing and midwifery