12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (Online)
The paediatric nurse requires a diverse knowledge and skill base to assess and manage patients in a variety of settings. The unit enables the student to develop proficiency in the holistic management of sick children, beyond the beginning specialist level, and prepares students for leadership roles in their practice area.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- describe the aetiology, clinical manifestations and pathophysiology of a range of diseases/conditions observed in children;
- plan and implement appropriate, evidence based, therapeutic nursing interventions related to the management of paediatric patients;
- plan and implement appropriate, evidence based, therapeutic nursing interventions related to the management of children with complex health needs;
- critically analyse the clinical issues supporting and complicating advanced practice in paediatric nursing;
- analyse the collaborative interdisciplinary team approach to management of paediatric patients.
- Take home examination (30%)
- Written assignment 1 (3,000 words) (30%)
- Written assignment 2 (5,000 words) (40%) (hurdle)
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Nursing and midwifery