12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
This unit is offered concurrently withNursing in the Australian Context for registered nurses with International nursing qualifications. A focus on principles of clinical leadership, therapeutic and professional communication, multidisciplinary team work, and clinical decision making will facilitate transition to the Australian nursing context. The unit is learner cantered engaging the student in critical reflection, appraisal and application of evidence for practice in relationship to the role of the nurse in a variety of clinical nursing settings.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Apply a clinical reasoning process in the resolution of a number of example clinical nursing problems within the parameters of the registered nurses scope of practice
- Describe the personal attributes and professional skill required of nurses in effective clinical leadership roles, including an appraisal of how these assets contribute to efficient change management outcomes
- Apply the theoretical principles for achieving evidence informed nursing practice in the critique of nursing practice examples from a range of practice settings
- Evaluate the clinical application of evidence-based research and ethical principles in the management of a range of complex nursing examples
- Reflect critically on professional development in preparation for practice in the Australian health care context
- Demonstrate evidence of continuing competence to practice as a registered nurse through the development of a professional portfolio
- Practice in accordance with the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council (ANMAC) National Competencies for the Registered Nurse, Code of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct for Nurses.
6 weeks clinical practicum.
- Portfolio (8,000 words) (60%)
- Essay (2,500 words) (40%)
- 6 week clinical practicum (Pass / Fail)
Six weeks clinical practicum: 240 hours, Self-directed learning: 72 hours.
Total: 312 hours.
See also Unit timetable information