12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (Flexible)
In this unit students will study various contemporary psychotherapies and techniques used by nurses and other health professionals in interaction and counselling of clients with psychological and/or mental health disorders.
These therapies include: behavioural and cognitive therapies, Rational Emotive Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Dialectal Behaviour Therapy, and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
This unit includes analysis of the theoretical underpinnings and major concepts of the therapies and other contemporary interventions for clinical application. Students will develop a greater self-awareness through the development of their own unique approaches to psychotherapeutic interactions utilising these contemporary approaches with their clients, within their own clinical and cultural environment.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Use a variety of psychotherapeutic approaches and techniques that demonstrate skills and knowledge required for effective mental health nursing interaction.
- Plan interventions and establish goals to meet the needs of clients within identified psychotherapeutic frameworks;
- Critically analyse a variety of contemporary psychotherapies;
- Develop a greater awareness of self and the ways in which personal attributes affect interaction with clients and others;
- Practice relevant psychotherapeutic skills with a variety of clients displaying psychological disorders
- Discuss a range of contemporary issues regarding psychotherapies and their techniques;
- Critically appraise the evidence available regarding the efficacy of relevant psychotherapies with a variety of different client groups;
- Optimise the opportunity as health professionals to enhance their clinical skills when working with consumers and carers;
- Develop an understanding of cultural psychosocial aspects, which may influence the use of psychotherapies within the health professionals' roles.
- Online discussion (40%) (hurdle)
- Written assignment (30%)
- Case study (30%)
- Four one day workshops (Hurdle)