24 points, SCA Band 2, 0.500 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Term 1 2018 (On-campus)
, , , .
, , .
An application is required to enrol in this internship unitinternship unit (http://www.monash.edu/science/current-students/internship-units).
This unit is designed to provide students with industry experience and work-based learning. Through the placement, students will be able to apply financial thinking, modelling techniques and mathematical and statistical skills acquired throughout the Masters programme to solve real-life problems in finance and related areas. In the process they will acquire invaluable experience and knowledge on the functioning of a finance-related workplace.
Students must complete at least 360 hours of placement in a relevant industry.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Put into practice financial thinking, modelling techniques and mathematical and statistical skills acquired throughout the programme;
- Analyse financial and/or insurance data using tools developed throughout the programme;
- Construct models and solutions in specific settings relating to financial and/or insurance problems;
- Recommend solutions to real-life problems in finance and related areas;
- Design solutions to real-life problems in finance and related areas based on financial thinking, modelling techniques and mathematical and statistical skills acquired throughout the programme to;
- Exhibit effective reporting and writing skills in the context of a workplace. At the end of this capstone unit, students are expected to gain graduate placements in relevant industries.
Three minor reports (10% each): 30%
Final report: 50%
Oral presentation: 20%
The workload in this unit is made up of two components:
- Work hours as agreed to by the student, the industry partner and the teaching staff. Working hours and conditions may vary from partner to partner.
- Reporting and report writing: 2 hours per week for the duration of the internship (at least 10 weeks) and 20 hours total for the final report.
See also Unit timetable information