6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2018 (On-campus)
At least two MTH level three units must normally have been completed with a sufficient level of achievement - please contact the unit coordinator in the first instance.
This unit provides students with an opportunity to work with a supervisor and complete a mathematical research project chosen from a range of areas of mathematics and statistics, including astrophysics, dynamics, chaos, computing algorithm design, number theory, logic and meteorology. Students will complete a written final report, two written progress reports, and will give an oral presentation on their work.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Appreciate the power of mathematics and its applications;
- Demonstrate research skills including accessing the existing literature, analysing data, and where appropriate developing and checking mathematical models;
- Apply high-level critical thinking skills to using and analysing data collections both in the library and on the Internet;
- Demonstrate high-level communication skills by presenting both an oral and written report on their work;
- Use technical word processing packages and graphics software effectively in the presentation of their work;
- Understand applications of mathematics beyond those in mathematics and statistics units.
Project report: 80%
Progress reports: 10%
Oral presentation: 10%