6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Teaching Period 2 2018 (Online)
Must be enrolled in one of the following course codes: 4529, M6021
This unit will cover the impacts and human cost of occupational disease and injury, occupational health and safety law, frameworks for primary prevention, workers' compensation systems, occupational rehabilitation, case studies highlighting historical achievements and challenges, international and national occupational health and safety (OHS) organizations.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Analyze and contextualize the human and economic cost and causes of workplace injury and death in Australia.
- Identify contemporary OHS data sources, and evaluate and explain their merits and limitations.
- Describe and evaluate the theoretical underpinnings of various injury models and their use within OHSMS.
- Analyze and contextualize the legal framework for OHS and occupational injury management and its application to OHS practice.
- Identify, contextualize and evaluate the fundamental principles of OHS practice including application of risk management programs, occupational rehabilitation, injury management and total worker health programs in complex environments.
- Analyze and contextualize the OHS impacts of contemporary work patterns emerging challenges.
- Online tasks (50%) (hurdle)
- Assignment (2,500 words + 1 page proposal) (50%) (hurdle)
24 hours per week for 6 weeks.
See also Unit timetable information