6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Basic computer proficiency.
This unit aims to equip global health practitioners with a practical understanding of the impact of infectious diseases on global health equity. The unit will explore:
- key existing and emerging diseases of global health importance
- the historical context, determinants and epidemiology of key infectious diseases
- the existing and needed global policies, public health responses and effective health care delivery models in resource-limited settings for key infectious diseases
The unit will be taught by instructors with field experience and will draw on case studies and practical examples from resource-limited settings.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to identify the key infectious diseases of global public health importance and demonstrate an understanding of:
- their historical context, determinants, epidemiology and impact on health equity
- the global policies, public health responses and effective practices for prevention, treatment and care at both an individual, community and population level
- the principles, approaches and challenges for effective health care delivery models in resource-limited settings.
- Problem-based learning group presentation (15%)
- Policy brief on group topic (25%)
- Concept note (500 words) (5%)
- Written assignment: Infectious disease program design (3,500 words) (55%)
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units are different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty's non-standard teaching datesFaculty's non-standard teaching dates (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/enrolments/non-standard-dates.html) page to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/processes/change/add-or-discontinue-units#penalties).
See also Unit timetable information