6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Ross Donohue
Associate Professor Jane Tong (Malaysia, First semester)
Associate Professor Teh Pei Lee (Malaysia, Second semester)
- First semester 2018 (Evening)
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (Evening)
Basic introduction to research design in management; types of research designs; qualitative and quantitative data collection and measurement techniques; coding data; reliability and validity; qualitative and quantitative methods of analysis; interpreting and discussing results; structuring and writing the research report; integrating individual research into overall management literature.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- critically analyse and interpret basic research designs in the management discipline
- construct research questions grounded in a theoretical and conceptual framework
- assess the appropriateness, types, and use of qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis techniques as a means of investigating and answering research questions in the management discipline
- identify, search for, and locate secondary data and knowledge relevant to management research, as well as understanding the process of generating or collecting primary data
- develop academic writing skills appropriate to the discipline for reporting on business management research projects.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Examination: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information