6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Students must have completed 24 credit points.
This unit analyses corporate social responsibility (CSR) from a range of different perspectives. The course is designed within a framework of understanding, applying and managing corporate social responsibility in business; CSR is considered in the context of the marketplace, the workplace, in the community and the natural environment. Through the use of case studies of Australian and international companies, students will examine CSR challenges across a range of industry settings and develop strategies for responsible management.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- compare and contrast the strengths and limitations of a range of models of corporate social responsibility
- examine the range of external and internal factors that impact on an organisation's corporate social responsibility
- analyse the major corporate social responsibilities of business, in particular within the marketplace, the workplace, in the community and the natural environment in the context of globalisation
- identify the tensions between conflicting business and social responsibilities
- critique different managerial approaches to working with stakeholders to address issues of corporate social responsibility.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Examination: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information