6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
or or or MGG1010 or MGP1010 or
, , MGG2430,
Increased competition within the business environment has enhanced the focus on human resource strategies for business success. This unit will introduce students to the world of human resource management (HRM) and will explore the role of people, culture and strategy across contexts, sectors and occupations. This unit is designed to provide students with an opportunity to develop a critical approach to HRM concepts, models and theories. In addressing the challenges for 21st century students, the unit will also enhance student's employability by introducing personal development as a concept, and will enhance job readiness through providing opportunities for personal development.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- define the scope and purpose of HRM through the principles and practices of contrary people, culture and strategy initiatives
- critically evaluate and analyse conceptual frameworks for assessing HRM systems in a global business environment and across different cultural/national setting
- develop creative solutions to a range of contemporary HRM challenges involving people, culture and strategy initiatives
- enhance student employability and job readiness skills, through personal development opportunities.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Examination: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information