6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Students must complete one of the following units:, , , MGP1010, or
Business communication is designed to provide students with the skills and knowledge of communication in professional contexts. The unit emphasises organisational communication theory, its application to effective written communication, informative and persuasive communication, the role of verbal and non-verbal communication, and interpersonal skills in business teams and cultures. The underlying theme of the unit is to provide awareness of a range of professional communication skills required to meet 21st century career demands. Students will be provided the opportunity to develop and demonstrate a range of skills to assist in meeting communication challenges within organisations in preparation for employment.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- critically evaluate communication theories underpinning business communication
- analyse the relationships between different business communication theories and concepts
- demonstrate creative solutions to persuasive and informative business communication challenges
- understand the roles of verbal and non-verbal communication and interpersonal communication in business contexts
- develop professional writing skills for business, electronic communication and social media for business communication.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information