6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit introduces students to materials available for the fabrication of engineering components and structures. Students will be instructed on the fundamentals of the role of composition and structure of materials in their mechanical properties that are important for engineering design. Students will also learn how the materials with undesirable microstructure can lead to premature failures, particularly as a result of their interaction with aggressive environment. The knowledge thus developed will provide a basis for advanced learning on a systematic approach to materials selection as well as the methods by which the materials with the desired mechanical properties can be processed. Case studies will be presented to highlight the importance of selecting appropriate materials for engineering design.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Decide on the appropriate material for a given engineering design considering the operational requirements and the limitations of different material types.
- Describe methods for modification of material microstructure and control of material properties.
- Reflect on the intricacies of a common manual fabrication technique (ARC Welding) and its associated safety aspects.
- Differentiate a range of corrosion types and the principles behind corrosion mitigation.
- Predict mechanical and corrosion failure modes and explain likely causes.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Final Examination (2 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hour lectures, 3 hour practice session or laboratory per week and 6 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information