6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Dr Tuncay Alan
Dr Chang Wei Sea (Malaysia)
The unit conveys the fundamental knowledge necessary for the analysis and design of mechanical engineering structures. It builds on aspects of applied forces and basic structural analysis that are contained in various units in level 1. It provides a focus for this prior learning with respect to the analysis of components and structures within a mechanical engineering context.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Analyse the behaviour of structures under mechanical loads via free body diagrams.
- Apply stress-strain relations in conjunction with elasticity and material properties.
- Determine the mechanical stresses and structural deformations that arise within a body under applied loads.
- Appraise complex solid mechanics problems and use knowledge and skills to develop simplified models and generate accurate solutions.
- Apply structural analysis theory to predict performance and reliability of structures under a combination of different loadings.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Final Examination (2 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours of lectures, 3 hours of practice sessions and 6 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information