6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- MBA Teaching Period 4 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
Students must be enrolled in course B6016.
In lean and flat contemporary organisations, leaders require much more than the authority associated with their position to be effective. In this unit, the role of leaders and the process of leadership in impacting and influencing people and organisational performance is explored. The aim is to understand how leaders make a difference in what they say and what they do, with the explicit goal of examining each student's leadership communication competencies and developing their leadership effectiveness to influence the performance of others.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- identify the drivers of performance and develop strategies and actions to influence the performance of others
- apply frameworks and techniques to manage poor performance
- demonstrate the skills required for effective leadership communication
- demonstrate the skills to execute difficult conversations
- design and deliver high impact presentations.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information