6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
This unit, together withProject thesis B, will enable students to complete an aerospace engineering research project related to coursework units in the program or an area of special interest. The project is a self-guided learning task involving either a major design, theoretical, experimental, computational or analytical task involving a significant literature review. An academic staff member will act as supervisor. Students submit for assessment a research proposal and risk analysis in the early stages of the project followed by a detailed progress report at the end of the semester.
On successful completion of the unit students will be able to:
- conduct an independent, scientifically based research project under broad direction
- develop a research plan based on scientific methodologies and sound research practices taking into account assessment of risk factors
- apply sound scientific method and research practices to undertake project work
- manage a research project effectively within technical, budgetary, risk and time constraints
- undertake an extensive review of relevant scientific literature and critically analyse its relevance to the project work being proposed
- utilise data acquisition tools, data analysis and/or other technological tools effectively
100% project based
12 hours per week
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study