6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
- Term 2 2018 (On-campus)
- International refugee law and human rights
- International refugee law and practice
This course will explore the international protection regime for refugees including state obligations under international refugee law, human rights and the law of the sea. It will compare and contrast key concepts and practices of refugee protection, amongst receiving states. It will then address issues raised by regional responses such as deterrence measures and the externalization of border control policies.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Creatively apply knowledge of recent developments in International Refugee Law and Practice to new and unfamiliar situations in professional practice and/or for further learning;
- Investigate, analyse, synthesise and discuss the complexities of International Refugee Law and Practice problems, concepts and theories and
- Use technical and creative skills to generate and evaluate complex ideas and concepts relevant to International Refugee Law and Practice.
Prato attendance requirement: students who fail to attend at least 80% of the classes in this unit (ie who miss 3 or more classes) will receive a result of 0 N for the unit. Students who are unable to meet this requirement due to severe illness or other exceptional circumstances must make an application for in-semester special consideration with supporting documentation.
Research assignment (3,750 words): 50%
Take Home exam: (3,000 words): 40%
Class participation: 10%
Students enrolled in this unit will be provided with 24 contact hours of seminars per semester [in Prato they will have 36 contact hours] whether intensive, semi-intensive, or semester-long offering. Students will be expected to do reading set for class, and to undertake additional research and reading applicable to a 6 credit point unit.