6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
or . Recommended: ,
This unit will review the pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment of disorders associated with an excessive, defective or unwarranted immune response. Disorders include autoimmune diseases, allergy, immunodeficiency states, leukaemia/ lymphoma and transplant rejection. Prospects for tumour vaccines will also be discussed. How new insight into the cellular and molecular nature of the immune system is enabling improved diagnosis and more effective control of these disorders will be demonstrated. Skills will also be developed in searching and critically reviewing the literature, in assignment writing and oral presentation.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Analyse the functional and regulatory pathways of the normal immune system;
- Analyse how pathogens evade the immune system and predict how vaccines could be developed against micro-organisms;
- Distinguish between the pathogenesis of different disorders of the immune system including autoimmunity, allergy, immunodeficiency, leukemia/lymphoma and transplant rejection;
- Predict strategies for immuno-suppression and immuno-potentiation to cure these disorders;
- Analyse and interpret data from immunopathology experiments, structure a written discussion about immunopathology data, and present an oral discussion about immunopathology data.
Multiple choice examinations during semester: 15%
Tutorial assessments: 15%
Examination (2 hours): 50% (Hurdle)
This unit is subject to the Hurdle and Threshold Standards policiesHurdle and Threshold Standards policies (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/policies/assessment-policy-2017.html) of the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences.
- One 2-hour tutorial/directed learning
- Three 1-hour lectures
- One 1-hour directed learning (online activities)
- Six hours of self-directed learning per week
See also Unit timetable information