12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit brings together all the studies that students have hitherto undertaken in the course. It provides the opportunity for students to demonstrate their capacity to integrate all aspects of Industrial Design project work in a holistic project that demonstrates professional competence. Students are encouraged to think creatively to identify a market need, research and source relevant data, develop a product design specification and undertake the design of a product proposal under the supervision of academic staff. Project work is presented in folio format, documented for production. Final design proposals are also undertaken in detailed model form.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- integrate technical, aesthetic and symbolic factors Involved in an industrial design project
- achieve a holistic design, which demonstrates professional competence and cultural awareness
- interact with industry and source relevant data
- research, select and specify components relevant to individual projects
- prepare viable design solutions for volume manufacture in accordance with project criteria
- demonstrate communication skills including the execution of detailed-scaled models for presentation purposes
- observe and employ occupational health and safety principles and rules appropriate to studio practice.
Major design project: 100%, of which at least 20% is assessed during the semester.
24 hours per week including 8 lecture and studio hours and 16 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information