12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
- Admission to cooperative education program.
- Satisfactory completion of the work placement training sessions and the two work placements of 10 days in Year 1 and 15 days in Year 2.
- Completion of at least 84 points of studies creditable to course, normally consisting of at least seven 6-point units in each of the first two years of studies.
Students undertake discipline-related work in a full time, paid industrial placement of minimum 24 weeks. For admission to the cooperative education program, students participate in a selection process and are short-listed based on academic performance, interpersonal and communication skills and employer requirements. Students negotiate and undertake a learning contract with their workplace and academic supervisors, in response to the requirements of their role, focusing on personal and professional development, understanding their environment at the team, organisation and industry level, and development of scientific skills and knowledge.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Integrate knowledge, skills and understanding gained in the classroom and laboratory settings;
- Relate scientific knowledge and skills gained in coursework to productive employment experience;
- Apply their expertise to real-world problems.
Attendance, learning contract, journal: (3000 words)
Employer and self-evaluations
Final report: (4000 words)
Oral presentation (pass grade only)
Industrial placement for at least 24 weeks full-time employment
See also Unit timetable information