6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Admission to a Faculty of Art Design & Architecture course or permission
APA1301 or APA1311
This unit introduces students to the ancient craft of Glass Blowing in a contemporary light. Students will be taught an introductory level of Glass Blowing combined with a focus on conceptual approaches to this medium.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- understanding of the synthesis between concept and process within Glass Blowing practice;
- initiate, develop and express personal aesthetic solutions in the medium of Glass Blowing;
- work collaboratively with others to plan, problem solve, and create Glass Blowing solutions;
- critically reflect on self and the work of peers through group discussion and critique;
- explore and analyse the history of Glass Blowing and where it is situated in contemporary Fine Art practice;
- understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
Folio of studio work:100%, of which at least 20% will be assessed before mid-semester.
12 hours per week, including six hours of taught studio and six hours of personal study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information