6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Associate Professor Chung-Hsing Yeh
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the double award Master International/Master of Information Technology Systems with South East University, China
This unit introduces students to IT research. Specifically, it introduces major research methods that are used by IT researchers including experiments, surveys, case studies, and design science. It also addresses the collection and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data. Students will learn how to effectively communicate research. Skills developed and knowledge acquired from this unit will prepare students to conduct their own research, as well as to be knowledgeable consumers of others' research.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to understand:
- the major philosophies and principles of research;
- the major research methods used in IT research,;
- when a particular method is appropriate for a particular project;
- how to collect and analyse quantitative and qualitative research data;
- how to communicate research findings to a variety of audiences;
- how to critically review research designs and literature.
In-semester assessment (assignments and class tests): 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour studio/tutorial
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information