18 points, SCA Band 2, 0.375 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit is available to students enrolled in the Software Engineering specialisation of the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) at Clayton campus who have been accepted into the industry-based learning placement program with at least 48 credit points of study accumulated for units offered by Faculty of Information Technology.
Students are on placement full time in a defined, graduate level role during a 22-week placement period at established partners of the Faculty of IT industry based learning program including major global companies, leading Australian companies and worldwide consultancies. The students on placement apply the knowledge, skills and practices of professional attitudes and behaviour developed in their academic units. They develop communication, time management, self-reflection and customer service skills in business situations, experience and participate professionally in the corporate environment and obtain feedback from experienced supervisors on their performance.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- set achievable and measurable goals;
- identify useful theoretical knowledge that has been covered in prior coursework and knowledge that has not yet been covered;
- develop and practice professional skills and attitudes including: initiative, communication, time-management and teamwork skills in a business environment;
- develop solutions to business problems using information technology and other techniques;
- prepare documentation and written reports of a professional standard;
- address performance improvement opportunities identified by industry supervisors and self-assess opportunities for personal development;
- develop information technology skills (such as business process modelling, performance enhancement of installed software, updating current software and developing new software) in a complex, corporate business environment;
- apply engineering synthesis and design processes in a business and information technology environment;
- evaluate and critique the engineering approaches undertaken during the conduct and management of the projects.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Students on placement are deployed full-time for 22 weeks with the industry partners of the Faculty of IT industry-based learning program in a graduate level role within the company.
See also Unit timetable information