6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
24 points of second year units
This unit focuses on the capture, editing and creation/generation of digital sounds and soundscapes for virtual reality environments and games. Students will gain an understanding of the physical and acoustic properties of digital sounds, their communicative capacities, and learn how to layer, manipulate, synthesise and adaptively code digital sound waveforms. In their assignments, students will apply this understanding in the design and creative production of a soundscapes, soundtracks and the sound design of immersive environments.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- explain digital representations of sound and its physical and acoustic properties;
- implement sound design principles in digital sound recording, editing and synthesis;
- construct and create soundscapes and sound tracks;
- design and develop immersive, dynamic and adaptive soundscapes.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- One hour lecture/seminar
- Three hours tutorial/laboratories
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours of personal study in order to satisfy the reading, tute, prac and assignment expectations.
See also Unit timetable information