6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit introduces topics in Artificial Intelligence (AI) suited to real-time simulation and computer games development. Using a practice-based and programming-led approach, the unit explores a number of fundamental concepts, techniques and algorithms that can be used to build real-time, interactive games, virtual environments and simulations. Starting with basic concepts in 2D discrete simulation, the unit progresses to continuous, 3D models, agent simulation, bio-inspired intelligence models and search algorithms. Programs are developed using the Processing environment in Java or C++.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- select, evaluate and apply AI software techniques to model simple intelligent behaviour in 2D discrete simulations and games;
- select, evaluate and apply AI software techniques to model simple intelligent behaviour in 3D continuous simulations and games;
- apply evolutionary algorithms to devise novel agents and understand their application, and that of other search algorithms, to problems requiring the search of a solution space;
- apply methods of embodied intelligence and physicality to the development of intelligent behaviour in physical artefacts;
- apply -- through practice-based learning -- design, development, execution and validation of real-time interactive software using AI techniques;
- design, develop and debug applications using the Processing and Cinder coding environments.
Examination (2 hours): 40%; In-semester assessment: 60%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour studio
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information