6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Topics include business modelling with spreadsheets and R programming language; the methodology of business modelling; linear programming; primal and dual models; integer programming; transportation; and assignment problems.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describe business models using concept diagrams and mathematical programming formulations
- understand analytical and algorithmic optimisations applied to real-life business cases
- formulate, solve and interpret business problems with linear programming using graphical methods, Excel Solver, R program, simplex method, and branch and bound algorithms
- implement and analyse duality, sensitivity, transportation, assignment problems, and integer programming.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information