6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
- Summer semester B 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
BUS1100, PMM2020,, , ETG1102, ETP1100, , , ETX1100, ,
Topics include an introduction to spreadsheeting; descriptive statistics; elementary probability; discrete and continuous probability distributions; statistical inference; simple linear regression and correlation; forecasting and time series; and Index numbers.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- interpret business data using descriptive statistics techniques, including the use of spreadsheet functions
- apply simple concepts of probability and probability distributions to problems in business decision-making
- describe the role of statistical inference and applying inference methods to single population means
- evaluate relationships between variables for business decision-making, using the concept of correlation and simple linear regression
- apply time series techniques of indexing, deflating, and forecasting to business and financial series, and interpreting the results.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information