6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
The topics covered in this unit include: The Linear Model, Linear Simultaneous Equations, Non-linear functions, Financial Mathematics, Derivatives and Partial Differentiation, Optimization (constrained and non-constrained), Matrix Algebra, and Difference equations.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- acquire skills in solving equations and applying them to problems arising in business
- understand the features of linear and non-linear models and their applications in economics, finance and business
- solve simultaneous equations, with applications in areas including operations management
- work with arithmetic and geometric sequences and series and use them in financial applications
- develop skills to perform differentiation, optimisation (constrained and unconstrained) and basic matrix operations and apply them to understand and solve problems in business.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information