6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
, or equivalent.
ETF5934, ETX9344,, , ETC2400, , , ETF9100
Econometrics is a set of research tools employed not only in economics but also in business disciplines. This unit covers the basic tools for estimation in the context of simple and multiple linear regression, the sampling properties of the least squares estimator, statistical inference and hypothesis testing. It also covers regression with dummy variables, model specification issues and estimation problems when least squares assumptions are violated. EViews is used as the software package.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- apply econometric tools to modelling, estimation, inference, and forecasting in the context of real world economic and business problems
- formulate and test hypotheses about the relationships between variables
- understand the nature and consequences of violation of the classical assumptions and know how to test for violations
- apply the skills and knowledge from the unit to real situations in business and economics, critically analysis and evaluate the results from applications, and make policy recommendations
- demonstrate the ability to generate and analyse EViews computer output for business and economic applications.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information