6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters of Biostatistics.
This unit involves the study of basic probability and calculus-based methods of underpinning probability distributions and parameter estimation.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the meaning and laws of probability.
- Recognise common probability distributions and their properties.
- Apply calculus-based tools to derive key features of a probability distribution, such as mean and variance.
- Manipulate multivariate probability distributions to obtain marginal and conditional distributions.
- Obtain mean, variance and the probability distribution of transformations of random variables.
- Understand properties of parameter estimators and the usefulness of large sample approximations in statistics.
- Appreciate the role of simulation in demonstrating and explaining statistical concepts.
Written assignments (100%)