6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Term 3 2018 (On-campus)
Together with, this unit provides a challenging opportunity for students to pursue an independent, self-guided research project aimed at advancing the body of knowledge relevant to the topic. The project will involve a critical assessment of the current literature and will include one or a combination of design, development, and theoretical or experimental investigation work. The project plan and its outcomes will be communicated to a wider audience via a proposal, oral presentations, a progress report and a technical paper. The project may be undertaken either within the faculty or externally with a company or research organisation. This is the second part of a two-unit project.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Formulate a research plan based on scientific methodologies and sound research practices taking into account assessment of risk factors.
- Develop and independently execute a project effectively within technical, budgetary, risk and time constraints.
- Critically assimilate the current scientific literature relevant to the topic and assess its boundaries based on an extensive review.
- Devise a sound data acquisition and analysis plan by using latest data acquisition, analysis and/or other technological tools effectively, and support the validity of the findings by quantifying errors in their techniques.
- Defend and communicate their findings to a professional audience, and appraise the relevance of the new knowledge created.
Project proposal (15%)
Progress report (25%)
Oral presentations (20%)
Technical paper (40%)
11 hours of private study plus one-hour of consultation with project supervisor per week.
See also Unit timetable information