12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
and . Students may, under extenuating circumstances, require more time to complete their thesis. A case needs to be made which must have the support of their supervisor.
This is a unit of research study focusing on a particular theory, issue, challenge, dilemma, concern or problem in the field of psychology undertaken with a supervisor. While students are expected to demonstrate initiative and independence, the supervisor offers guidance, support and feedback over the course of the research. The thesis is especially important for students who are intending to undertake further higher degree studies. Graduates who have successfully completed the psychology thesis are able to use this 12,000- to 16,000-word study as evidence of independent research experience in an application for entry into the PhD course.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- produce a thesis that displays competence in understanding and carrying out research in the field of psychology, but with less emphasis on comprehensive knowledge and originality as required in a research degree such as PhD
- devise a research topic to investigate that is feasible within the two-unit time frame
- identify key research questions that are not too general and ambitious
- select and review relevant theory and literature
- design a study and choose appropriate methods to investigate research questions
- select appropriate modes of analysis
- consider ethical issues involved in research
- implement, critically appraise or apply research in a particular field
- prepare a comprehensive written report that is professionally presented and contains all the required components including a bibliography.
In conjunction withand , the Master of Educational and Developmental Psychology research thesis is a 12,000- to 16,000-word research project. The format of the research project must comply with the options as set out in the APAC Accreditation Standards research requirements for postgraduate coursework degrees at the time of commencing the research.
Minimum total expected workload equals 24 hours per week.
See also Unit timetable information