12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Course 3231 Master of Psychology (Counselling): EDF6501, EDF6502, EDF6503 and EDF6517
Course D6007 Master of Educational and Developmental Psychology:, , and
This practicum unit develops a range of professional skills and acquaints students with issues of professional ethics and practice in psychology. Students spend between three and four days per week on placement. The placement activities undertaken in this unit contribute to the total placement hours required for the course (minimum 1000 hours). Students are supervised on site by their field supervisors and also have regular contact with their university supervisors. Monthly group supervision sessions are offered from February to November for the duration of the placements.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- apply their advancing knowledge and skills for assessment, consultation, counselling and intervention to working with clients
- apply advancing report-writing skills to practice
- use advancing knowledge of local human service systems and an applied understanding of legal and ethical issues relevant to the specialist fields of counselling psychology or educational and developmental psychology.
Written case study activities (4800 words equivalent, 60%)
Placement activities and log book (3200 words equivalent, 40%)
Minimum total expected workload comprises:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 435 hours (58 days) per semester of clinical placement experience including a minimum of 150 client contact hours (Some days and hours may be transferred between the three placements with the permission of the placement coordinator.)
- monthly group supervision sessions on campus from February to November for the duration of the placements
See also Unit timetable information