0 points, SCA Band 1, 0.000 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2018 (On-campus)
In this unit students are introduced to practical experience and provided opportunities to reflect on their efforts to develop psychological skills in practice and rehearsal situations. The practicum develops a range of professional skills and acquaints students with issues of professional ethics and practice in psychology. Supervision sessions provide students with feedback to enhance their skill development. The placement activities undertaken in this unit contribute to the total placement hours required for the course (minimum 1000 hours). Students attend weekly supervision sessions and undertake a variety of professional experience activities throughout the year totalling the equivalent of approximately 18 days of placement. The timing of activities undertaken in the field varies according to availability. Students are supervised on site by their field supervisors and have regular contact with their University supervisors.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- apply their knowledge and skills for assessment, consultation, counselling and intervention to working with clients
- apply report-writing skills to practice
- use knowledge of local human service systems and an applied understanding of legal and ethical issues relevant to the specialist fields of counselling psychology or educational and developmental psychology.
This unit is graded pass grade only (PGO).
Satisfactory completion of placement (students must keep adequate records as outlined in the unit guide).
Minimum total expected workload comprises:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 135 hours (18 days) per semester of clinical placement experience (Some days and hours may be transferred between the 3 placements with the permission of the placement coordinator.)
See also Unit timetable information